Did you know that the average Australian discards around 200 kg of packaging waste per year? That’s a lot of valuable resources being wasted. Packaging waste is an environmental problem for these main reasons:
- It pollutes our air, water and soil
- It produces a lot of greenhouse gas emissions
- It takes a lot of energy to produce
So what’s the solution? Reducing the amount of packaging we use, (or avoiding it all together) is one of the most effective ways of reducing the total footprint of gas emissions produced as a result of waste going to landfill. Also, by using recycled materials for packaging, we can recover some of the energy used to create it. For example, the process required to produce glass initially from raw starting materials involves a lot of heat. The obvious benefits of recycling glass packaging materials is to reuse and save our natural resources – but the most important benefit of using recycled glass is that the energy required to produce it is considerably less than the energy required to produce glass from raw starting materials.
For the discerning and educated consumer, product design capability extends beyond the product itself to also include the brand philosophy. A progressive brand will always consider the environmental impact of their products and packaging. The philosophy here at Mood Alchemy is simple – “Clean and Green”. Every product in our holistic aromatherapy range of soy candles, reed diffusers, massage oils, room fragrance sprays and goats milk soaps stays true to our eco-friendly brand philosophy:
Natural product ingredients (sustainably sourced)
Minimal packaging made from recycled materials
Handmade in Australia
When comparing product value in a particular market category, make sure you are comparing “apples with apples”. Consider the lifecycle management of the product, and ask yourself these important questions:
- What function does the product packaging serve – and is it absolutely necessary?
- Is the packaging made from recycled materials? Can the packaging be reused?
- Have the product ingredients been sourced from sustainable and renewable sources?
- Is the product Made in Australia – and all the positive economic benefits to society that come with that? (Remember that buying locally from small business means that the money cycles back through the local community for everyone’s benefit.)
As the discerning consumer, you have a choice as to how to spend your dollars – so make sure you choose wisely with a long-term view. Choosing Mood Alchemy products – which are made from recycled packaging materials with minimal outer packaging – is a positive way to participate in the reduction of environmental damage. Lets keep moving together towards a culture of sustainability.